|After David's death, his second wife, Celicia
Brobst, assumed the management of the store.
Famed in her later years as probably the
eldest woman storekeeper in Ohio, Mrs. Brobst
operated the store alone until her death at the
age of 88 in 1933.
|The tiny village of Marcy came into existence in
1806 when Jacob Brobst transported his family and
household goods over the rough mountain trails of
Eastern Pennsylvania. He laid claim to a hundred
or so level acres of ground in Fairfield County,
Ohio. It is believed that the village of Marcy was
named after the Honorable Wm. Learned Marcy, a
U.S. Senator and Secretary of State until his death
on July 4, 1857. He was then famous for his Treaty
with Great Britain called the "Reciprocity Treaty."
Operated by the Brobst Clan for an unbroken span
of nearly 100 years, the general store at Marcy
occupies a unique niche in the retail history of the
|Established in 1840 by David Brobst, the store is now in its second
building erected on the original site. People came from far and wide to
visit the Marcy store - a two story weather-beaten structure which
housed a most curious collection of goods, old and new. The Marcy
Grange held their meetings on the second floor.
David became the first Postmaster of Marcy in approximately 1857. He
remained Postmaster until his death in 1893. A son, George,
remembers when he and his father carried the mail to Ashville under a
contract of $250.00 per year. One winter they made 24 consecutive
trips in a sleigh. The post office at Marcy was discontinued with the
establishment of rural routes out of Ashville in the early 1900's.
|It is believed the original Brobst store
burn down after the death of Celicia
Brobst, and the store pictured at the
left was built to take its place.
Although the years have brought their
share of remodeling and expansion,
the store at the left comprises the
center part of the Historic Marcy Store
and Diner of today.
|The photo to the right is of the
Marcy Store and Diner circa 1960.